Author Topic: Kristin Hersh's Rat Girl/Paradoxical Undressing  (Read 2995 times)

Offline Tom

• "The most tender thing you've said to me, is that I suffer from paranoia."
  • Plague Rat
  • "Let's pretend, happy end."
Kristin Hersh's Rat Girl/Paradoxical Undressing
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:01:43 am »
Durch einen Blogeintrag bin ich auf das Buch von Kristin Hersh aufmerksam geworden in dem sie basierend auf ihrem Tagebuch, das sie im Alter von achtzehn Jahren geschrieben hat, einen persönlichen Einblick in die Anfänge ihrer Karriere gibt.
Auf amazon habe ich die Einleitung/den Anfang des Buches gelesen und ich mag ihren Schreibstil.
Der Titel "Parodoxical Undressing" unter dem das Buch in England erscheint, bezieht sich auf das Phänomen, dass Erfrierende sich, bevor sie erfrieren, paradoxerweise entkleiden. (siehe wikipedia)
Die Buchbeschreibung auf amazon:
"Kristin Hersh was a preternaturally bright teenager, starting university at fifteen and with her band, Throwing Muses, playing rock clubs she was too young to frequent. By the age of seventeen she was living in her car, unable to sleep for the torment of strange songs swimming around her head - the songs for which she is now known. But just as her band was taking off, Hersh was misdiagnosed with schizophrenia. Paradoxical Undressing chronicles the unraveling of a young woman's personality, culminating in a suicide attempt; and then her arduous yet inspiring recovery, her unplanned pregnancy at the age of 19, and the birth of her first son. Playful, vivid, and wonderfully warm, this is a visceral and brave memoir by a truly original performer, told in a truly original voice."

I’ve heard music that no one else hears since I got hit by a car ... and sustained a double concussion. I didn’t know what to make of this at first, but eventually I came to feel lucky, special, as if I had tapped into an intelligence. Songs played of their own accord, making themselves up; I listened and copied them down.

Every few weeks song noise will begin again, and when its parts have arranged themselves, I’ll copy them down and teach them to the band, making them hear what I hear. As soon as I give a song a body in the real world, it stops playing and I breathe a sigh of relief, in precious silence.

Das Video ist ein Trailer zum Buch bzw. zu ihren Lesungen:
<a href="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/n4wCSRzCklc" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/n4wCSRzCklc</a>